As the producers and writers never tire of pointing out, they have answered a lot of questions over the past three years. The problem is that some early questions haven’t come close to being answered, some appear to have been forgotten, and of course for every answered question there are three new questions raised.
So what are your top questions to see answered?
1. What is the black mist monster? Yeah, I think we got a lot of hints that the mysterious ghostly Jacob may be the mist monster. But are we sure? And of course if Jacob is the mist monster that merely raises a ton more questions. Like why the Others left the fence on to defend against the monster. And why the monster keeps killing people.
2. Charlie’s Craziness Anyone remember this episode because it seems like the producers have forgotten, other than a brief apology to Sun. But there was a whole Charlie-centric episode with pointless flashbacks but important present day actions. Charlie has these vivid Catholic inspired visions even though he is not on heroin anymore. This leads to an attempt to baptize baby Aaron which everyone else thinks is Charlie potentially killing Aaron. Locke then punches Charlie out. The nature of the visions has never been explained. Further, only a week later Lost time, Charlie is back in everyone’s good graces including Claire – which always struck me as inexplicable. Please explain this. It bugs me more than even the more obvious questions.
3. Why does no one share secrets? What is up with all the secrecy. Jack appears to keep everything secret whether it makes any sense or not. He did that with the hatch, with Ben in the hatch and then the secrets of the Others when he returned from captivity. Locke has tons of secrets, but at least his make sense to keep quiet. However sometimes it seems like no one is putting two and two together. Further, no one appears to question each other. Yeah we’ll get a throw away line on this occasionally. But we need more of an explanation.
4. How did they survive the crash? Let’s be honest. If a plane tears up in the air no one is surviving. Certainly not the way the Losties have. Is this the island/Jakob? The flashback of Desmond suggests that he was partially responsible for the plane crash. Since then there have been hints he isn’t. What’s the deal?
5. What is up with the time travel? After denying time travel was part of the show they now admit it is. (Which, after the Desmond episode that opened up the second half of season-3 was pretty clear) However producers are also pretty critical of the paradox filled time travel stories such as we see on Heroes. So there are big limits on time travel. What are they though? Did Desmond change the past? Who was that mysterious lady and her friend at the monastery? Does the flash forward of Jack suggest we’re going to skip forward a few years or is there time travel? I don’t know.
Is there a reason for the intertwined past of all the characters? Is Ben a good guy or bad guy? Is Penny’s Dad part of Dharma? Are the numbers mystical sympathetic relations or is this science fiction rather than fantasy?